Pine Springs is a small community of about 140 homes bordering Long Lake. Pine Springs Village was formed in 1959 from parts of Lincoln and East Oakdale townships through a petition of the citizens to the county board. With the county’s blessing, the 118 residents held an election and voted to incorporate. Shortly afterward they voted to add much of the west side of Long Lake to the village, making the total area about one square mile.
Some of the earlier homes in Pine Springs were summer cottages on Long Lake, many of which now have been converted to year-round homes. The community remains residential, with most of the homes on two-acre lots. The rural atmosphere is furthered by the fact the community has no city water or sewer, no street lights, and no sidewalks. There is also no school, so all students are bused to Mahtomedi schools. The city is so small that all city jobs are manned by volunteers. Most residents like the sense of small town community and the peaceful neighborhoods.
The community is bordered by Mahtomedi on the north and west, Oakdale and Lake Elmo on the south, and Grant on the east. The southern boundary of the small community is the Gateway Trail, an old Soo Line railroad bed converted to a biking, skating, and walking trail that goes from Pine Point Park through North St. Paul to downtown St. Paul.
While this suburban community remains entirely rural residential, with no commercial areas, its residents have easy access to Highway 36 and Interstate 494 and are just minutes from the business districts of Willernie, Mahtomedi, and North St. Paul.
The village of Pine Springs acquired city status in 1974. The City of Pine Springs has a total of about 600 acres and 400 people.